I think it’s funny how you can really dislike a book on one reading and then come to like it later on. When Ryan first brought home Let’s Count Goats! by Men Fox & illustrated by Jan Thomas I did a quick read through and was not impressed. Then when I read it aloud to MBS it grew on me. I think when I was reading it to myself I wasn’t getting the right cadence to the words but when I read it aloud I got the rhythm right and the story was much better.
I really enjoyed Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers. The story of a boy and the penguin he finds is charming and the illustrations are simple but just right.
I am probably one of the only people who doesn’t like the story The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle. I do not like reading it aloud, repeating over and over “do you want to fight?” and “oh, you’re not big enough”. The only thing I like about the book is the whale.
Other books we’ve enjoyed lately:
- Plaidypus Lost written by Janet Stevens and Susan Crummel & illustrated by Janet Stevens
- Dr. Seuss’s ABC written and illustrated by Dr. Seuss
- The Cat in the Hat written and illustrated by Dr. Seuss
- Love is a Handful of Honey by Giles Andreae & illustrated by Vanessa Cabban
- A Wish for Wings that Work written and illustrated by Berkeley Breathed
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault & illustrated by Lois Elhert
- A Porcupine Named Fluffy by Helen Lester & illustrated by Lynn Munsinger